“All copywriters are in a sense marketers, but not all marketers are copywriters.“
Take for example the loads of lingo you need to know and be aware of in the marketing scene if you’re to even work with them smoothly, let alone successfully.
And as a copywriter entirely focused on the message, I like to leave the statistics and scaling to someone more numerically-minded (e.g. marketers).
But these marketers aren’t always blessed with the social swagger of us copywriters 😉
Important Terms for Copywriters:
Some of the terms foreign to regular writers but need-to-know’s for copywriters are as follows:
- CTA’s: call to actions. (This is your main button, or bottom-line, meant to entice people to take action)
- A/B: split tests. (These are used to get a better feel for what your audience likes. Yet you can split test anything from different headlines on the same blog, to different colours to see which works better for whatever purpose you’re promoting)
- TOF: top of funnel. (This is where you see a brand new company’s ad for the first time)
- MOF: middle of funnel. (This is where you happen to see that same company’s ad but a different version. This one is quite often focused more on their brand/product, and if their marketing is good how said brand or product can benefit you specifically)
- BOF: bottom of funnel. (This is where you’ll find the most urgency to take action, most often by means of FOMO [see below]
- FOMO: fear of missing out. (Showcased by limited time only offers, early bird specials, and countdown timers)
- BA: brand awareness. (These are ads depicting the brand and its overall message, rather than their product or offer. Hence, meant to build trust, these work best for cold audiences)
- ROAS: return on ad spend. (This measures the amount of revenue earned per dollar spent on advertising)
And the list goes on… but this is a blog, not a dictionary.
To explain it best and in the simplest terms the biggest difference between copywriting and marketing; is that the copywriter writes the ad, and the marketer chooses when, for how long, and to whom it goes out to!
THE BLOCK BARD
Founder | Head of Copy
WARNING: You Are NOT Ready To Advertise to Your Audience Until You’ve Downloaded our “FREE 1-Page Dream Customer System” Called the “Plan-0 Market Method”
This is the First sheet we make every Client fill-out before working with us… just hit GET IT NOW
The Ads That Pay You Back™
~ Hi there!
If you see anything wrong with this post, be it typos to offensive material, you can DM us at the email below and we’ll try to make it right 🙂
We love finding new, excellent sales professionals to feature in our blog. If you hold a sales, marketing, revenue-oriented title, or even business & growth, you are welcome to submit a pitch — or get the conversation going on topic ideas.
But before you submit, please make sure you read our B&G Content Guidelines We know they look long, but they actually take only a few minutes to read. If you’d like us to spend our time working with you, please invest a little of yours in reading those guidelines.
Once you’ve read the guidelines, send your pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We often find great ideas in unexpected places. The next article published on THE BLOCK BARD ‘Business & Growth’ could be yours!
We Love Your Support!
If you enjoyed this post you can support a small business like us by simply liking our page and sharing below!